St. Mary’s is a small granite Church, built in approximately 1865. It has a slate roof and a bell. The interior pitched roof, is open, i.e., the wooden rafters and wooden roof boards are visible. It can seat approximately 100 persons. The Church was built with a rose window at the east end where the boys’ school met, and a raised, three-sided apse at the west end, where the original altar was situated. The apse walls are thought to have been originally painted in 1870. The paintings were subsequently covered up, about 1924, when it was thought they were too “Catholic”. In 1929 six stained glass windows were put into the building.
At some point in its history, the interior was re-oriented to face east, reflecting the traditional layout of an Episcopal church. The rear of the church was partitioned off and became a storage area for many years.
About 1990, the original vestry, situated off the south side, was converted to a kitchen, disabled toilet and a Church entrance. Disabled access was made via a ramp leading to the new side door. At that time an emergency door was established through the north wall.
- Making the roof and windows wind- and water-tight
- Replacing and rebuilding the internal walls
- Replacing the apse flooring, including geists
- Repainting the interior and exterior of the Church
- Installing new heaters and rewiring the Church to meet electrical codes
- A generous donor recently enabled the church to lay paving slabs to the emergency door to improve disabled access to that door
- Clearing the grounds of the Church, which had become extremely overgrown, to provide space for church activities in warm weather
- Protecting the stained glass windows by poly-carbonate. The lead of the windows was beginning to give under wind pressure.
- Most dramatically, the paintings at the west end of the church have been uncovered and restored by professionals.
The repair works to the building are ongoing. By the grace of God, Sunday worship has continued throughout all of the repairs. We are currently praying and working towards a small extension to the church, a small meeting room or hall that will enable us to expand our ministries to the community.